So, I laughed today at work when I read a note that I received from a little boy who told me last week that he wanted to quit music. I reminded him of the contract he and his parents had signed at the beginning of the year, which clearly stated that students are not allowed to quit music halfway through the year. It is a full year commitment. It's really not fair to quit when I have so many students who want to sign up for band, and need a school instrument to receive the opportunity. And this little boy has been using a school instrument, so I asked if he felt good about taking away that opportunity from someone else who would have used that flute all year. Well, I talked to his classroom teacher, who said she would talk to him about it. She counseled him that it was his choice, and he would have to deal with the consequences later on for quitting. Sure enough, he was set on quitting, so today he turned in his instrument, and I had him write me an apology note for quitting. His family is Vietnamese, and he wrote, "my parents recently heard that playing the flute is bad luck, and there have been bad things happening in my family lately, so I am quitting." I thought that was so funny!! (Not the part that bad things have happened, but it really made me laugh that they think the flute caused them), and I thought to myself "playing the flute has sure brought so many good things into my life!" :) Kids say the funniest things!
2 comments:
Ha ha!! That is SO funny! I have never heard of anything like that! I am so glad I play the flute. It has brought me so much happiness--and good friends like you!
Well thats why I never played the flute!!! ;)
Post a Comment