YES!!!!!!! I am soooo happy and sooo grateful... I have a job!!!! And I love my job!!!!! This has been a special, memorable day. I have the most incredible feeling, knowing that I still have a job. What a blessing!!! I had signed up to speak at this Board Meeting tonight, and the Board gave me the chance! The Board was very considerate, and put our item near the front of the meeting. It was so wonderful to be able to stand up, and personally express the positive impact of the Elementary Music Program on behalf of the music teachers. I mentioned that each music team teaches at least 500 students twice a week. I talked about how our program reaches all students, not just those who can afford to rent an instrument and provide private lessons. I talked about how my teammate Andy and I received over $13,000 in grant money the past two years to be able to purchase nearly 70 brand new, high quality instruments. I also talked about how we have students from the School of the Deaf and Blind who love being in music!! One such student's Dad said to me after our Spring concert that music is the only thing he has EVER stuck with, and he can't wait to sign up again next year. That was a very rewarding experience. At the end, I thanked the parents for all their positive comments about the program on behalf of our 4,000 kids. (When I said that, two of the Board members turned their heads like "Wow! 4,000 kids!!" And I thanked the Board for reading all those letters and commenting back on them. I'm so grateful I was able to get the chance to speak.
Our Superintendent said "We are not cutting the Elementary Music Program. It doesn't make sense only after three years, and it is so successful... Principals throughout the district have commented on the need to either keep it and add to it, but definitely not cut the program in half, to just one day a week." My students and I have so many thank yous to write. Tomorrow I get to tell my students that we are coming back next year. Hooray!!!
After the meeting, a reporter from the Deseret News approached us and asked us questions. There were four of us music teachers who shared our thoughts and feelings about music and the Board's decision. This reporter then said she wanted to come to our schools and take pictures for this article. She asked, "but who should we take pictures of?" She turned to me and said, "Katie, you were the only one brave enough to stand up and speak; We are coming to your schools tomorrow!" I am thrilled!! I will definitely post this awesome article.
I feel like I'm on cloud nine. I know that God lives and guides our lives. I feel so incredibly blessed! Music is truly a blessing in my life. It is a joy to share that with others.
Baby R!
8 years ago






3 comments:
That's great! Congratulations! I'm so glad that you got to speak. You'll do a great job again next year.
YAY! So nice to talk with you this AM. I'm available Friday night, by the way, if you want to do a celebratory dinner. Maybe Chili's? Maybe they'll put chicken on my tacos this time? Maybe I'll get the one that has more tacos, since that is apparently the difference between the bigger and smaller meals? HA!
YIPPEE!!! I almost called you today to find out if you knew yet, but then I couldn't remember if today was the day you'd find out. I'm so happy for you--and proud of you for standing up to the school board to support MUSIC!!! You go, girl! Those kids are so lucky to have such an awesome teacher! Love YOU!
Post a Comment